Maybe Find Some Mindfulness.
Finding a balance between your needs and your workday can be difficult. By practicing mindfulness, you can experience release from the anxiety and stress of life and work. Mindfulness is paying attention, deliberately and non-judgmentally to each moment of your life. One minute a day can change your day and change your life. Below are easy steps to incorporate mindfulness into your day.
Try these for a start:
- Make enough time to have a morning routine daily – meditate, exercise, have breakfast, and get ready without rushing. Your choice, just starts doing it. (Enjoy this drink first – hot water with lemon)
- Work Smart – Prioritize tasks, schedule out time for them, and avoid last-minute distractions/meetings. Know your day’s schedule. When you feel the stress building take a break and breathe! (Breathe in for 3 counts, hold, release for 7 counts – repeat)
- Take an enjoyable healthy lunch break of at least ½ an hour (enjoy the flavors, textures, and temperatures of your food), take a walk (feel your feet being grounded) or simply close your eyes for a bit.
- Speak up if you are feeling stressed and overwhelmed and your “to-do” list is never-ending… learn how to say no, delegate, or ask for help. (Listen fully and contemplate your response to people)
- Do one thing at a time – do not multitask. Every time you notice your concentration has wandered, bring yourself back to the present moment.
- Shut down for the day at a reasonable time, and remove yourself from your work area and work-related communications until the next day. (Stay away from screens)
- Aim to find some time to enjoy daily for just “you”. Exercise, color, listen to music, garden, cook, read a book, and enjoy a hobby. (Enjoy your senses)
- Plan something to look forward to, for just you or you and your family or friends.
- Try a bedtime routine, go to bed at the same time nightly to ensure plenty of rest for the next day. (Bring attention to your body, send breath to any areas of tension, relax, and close your eyes)
It is mindfulness that will help you reconnect with yourself and become healthier in mind, body, and spirit, now and in the future, and it all starts by changing one habit at a time. We here at Buying Time are instilling these practices into our daily agenda and hope that you too will find them useful in creating balance in your day so you can enjoy your work and life to its fullest potential.